Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bad Sales?

In the past few months, I have been in this certain "big" retail store shopping around for rings. There was this nice girl who offered to help and had great customer service. As usual, they ask you for specs on the ring you want and if there isn't anything in the store, they will offer to look around their "global inventory" for you. So I was happy to give her the specs I want, and my contact information (Tip: Don't leave your cell phone number in case you're shopping for a ring secretly and a store calls you telling you the great news that they have found your Perfect Ring. This goes for email accounts as well if your girlfriend has access to it. Bottom line: Leave contact information that your girlfriend can't check or you will not be contacted at a time where you might not be available. Of course, if you're shopping together with her, then that's no problem at all...)

Anyway, getting back to the point, after a day or two, I receive an email from the girl with information on a few particular rings in within my spec range and above my price range. That's no problem since it's their responsibility to upsell. (Tip: If your budget is $8000, tell the sales it's something closer to $7000 or $7500. They will upsell you) We email back and forth several times narrowing the specs down even more and she said she would contact me once the rings I was interested in came to the store.

Days passed... Weeks passed... and I'm still waiting for her confirmation. Since it's been forever, I decided that I would continue shopping around. Well, literally several months later, I went into the store again just to look around and guess who serves me? That's right, that girl. She had no idea or recollection that we've talked several times in person before and emailed each other numerous times. I reminded her that we've talked before and nicely left out the part that she never emailed me back. Again, she was enthusiastic and had great customer service, so we proceeded to the information collecting and spec narrowing again.

Once again, she was prompt with email replies and was very thorough and informative. The same thing happens... and yeah, literally, the same results. I've now waited almost a month for her confirmation that the rings I was interested are in.

It's sad that as a potential buyer and customer of this "big" jewellry store, that this type of scenario can happen. How much commission could she possibly make if she only followed through thoroughly with each and every customer? It doesn't take that much time or effort does it?

Now I'm left with the question should I email her back or just go with another sales rep? I'm also confused as to whether she actually put in the request to have the rings I was interested in sent over or not. Because if she did, how can she not be reminded to follow up on this customer when the rings she had transferred over for me came in.

Argh, ring shopping is sooo time consuming!

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks
    read here

    ReplyDelete